Getting started with Spare Phone
- I would first like to thank you for purchasing Spare Phone! If you need assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll be happy to help you.
- Quick Start
- Simply enter your Google Voice account info in the apps settings.
- 1.) Google Voice account.
Note: If you don't have an account you can create one here: Google Voice
2.) Windows Phone 8 device
- Contact Info
- email email@example.com
- Username: Enter your Google Voice username.
Password: Enter your Google Voice password.
- Echo Cancel: Toogle to enable or disable the AEC.
Note: The 'Microphone Gain' setting will likely need to be adjusted to ~25% also.
Keypad Sound: Toogle to enable or disable the keypad sound effect.
Microphone Gain: Adjusts the microphone volume.
- Incoming Calls
- Incoming Calls: Toggle to enable or disable the app to receive incoming calls.
Steps to enable incoming calls:
1.) Verify 'Google chat' is enabled under your forwarding phones on the Google Voice website.
2.) Visit the following URL to authorize the app to handle incoming calls and push notifications:
3.) Enable the 'Incoming Calls' toggle in the Spare Phone apps settings. Then back out of the app and re-open the app for the setting to take affect.
Incoming calls should now work but if you experience any issues simply contact me for help.
Note1: Windows Phone requires push notifications for incoming calls in VoIP based apps. So if incoming calls are enabled a 3rd party server is involved in the incoming call handling and for push notifications.
Note2: Outgoing calls(call setup and audio) are still 100% direct from the phone regardless of the incoming call setting. Voice/Audio traffic is always direct for both outgoing and incoming calls.
Note3: During initial testing some accounts received login security warning emails in Gmail. This is normal as the incoming call push notification server is located in Seattle, WA, USA.
- Call Issues
- I've NEVER placed a call successfully. Help!?
Please contact me for assistance.
When trying to place a call I hear an audio message(female voice) stating 'The call cannot be completed'. Help!?
If you get this message you'll need to login to gmail.com from a pc/laptop and place an outbound call via the chat widget in the lower left of the page to resolve this issue. After the 1st successful call from gmail.com you should then be able to place calls successfully with the app.
Incoming calls are not working.
Verify that you've completed the steps listed under the Incoming Calls section. If you've completed the steps and incoming calls still don't work then please contact me for help.
I'm trying to call an international number. What format is required?
Dial 011, the country code, and then the number.
- Login Issues
- The call disconnects immediately when trying to make a call.
Below are the 2 most common issues:
1.) 2-step authentication is enabled on the account. If 2-step is enabled you'll need to create an application specific password here: Google 2-Step
2.) The Google Voice account does not have a Gmail address associated with the account. The links below describe how to add a Gmail address to your existing Google Account:
If the above does not apply then please erase and retype the username/password to verify that it's correct.
If you continue to have issues please contact me
- Misc Issues
- Please contact me for help.
Open Source Licenses
- WebRTC License
Copyright (c) 2011, The WebRTC project authors. All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* Neither the name of Google nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.